Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Another easy variation of Greek avgolemono soup using leftovers. From Organic Style magazine.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain white rice, cooked (or brown rice)
- 1 cup broccoli floret, cooked, finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 large lemon, zest of
- 1 piece cinnamon sticks (3-inch) or 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- Zest the lemon by removing the zest in big pieces using a vegetable peeler.
- In a large stock pot, bring the chicken stock, zest, cinnamon stick (or saffron threads) and bay leaf to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover pot and boil 5 minutes.
- Remove zest, cinnamon stick and bay leaf with slotted spoon.
- In small bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, fresh lemon juice and cayenne.
- Remove stock pot from heat. Slowly add 1/2 cup of the chicken stock to the egg mixture, whisking constantly so that eggs do not curdle. Continue whisking, slowly pour the egg mixture back in with the remaining chicken stock.
- Cook; stirring constantly over low heat until thickened slightly, approximately 5 minutes (BE CARE NOT TO BURN!).
- Finally fold in the shredded chicken, rice and broccoli; stirring constantly until mixture is heated through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in soup bowls with parsley garnish.