2 hrs 16 mins
My grandmothers recipe for "grape leaves". My daughters are usually in charge of cutting the leaves. If they help roll, we can really get the job done quickly.
My Private Note
grape l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place rice in a medium sized bowl and cover with 3 cups of cold water.
- 2Let stand for 30-60 minutes.
- 3Drain and rinse grape leaves in a colander.
- 4Cut leaves in half removing the thick center stem.
- 5Save five or six large leaves for bottom of pan- discard any extremely tough or ragged leaves.
- 6Drain all water from rice.
- 7Add lamb, salt, pepper, and cinnamon.
- 8Mix by hand thoroughly.
- 9Line bottom of large kettle or dutch oven with five or six large leaves to prevent scorching.
- 10Lay a leaf flat on a plate, shiny side down.
- 11Put approximately 1 heaping teaspoon of meat mixture towards bottom of leaf.
- 12Roll in one edge to seal, then roll leaf up firmly but not too tight (you need to leave a little room for the rice to expand while cooking).
- 13Place leaves in kettle in circular fashion leaving a small circle in the center for water to circulate.
- 14When you have one full row on bottom of pan, slice two cloves of garlic over the top of the leaves.
- 15Sprinkle with a little of the mint.
- 16Continue rolling the leaves and layering them with the garlic/ mint.
- 17You should have approximately five rows of leaves when you are done.
- 18Place a heatproof plate over the top of the leaves- large enough to hold them in place, but with a little room on the edges.
- 19Put a bowl on top of the plate filled with water to hold the plate down while cooking.
- 20Fill kettle with water over the top of the plate.
- 21Cook on top of stove on high heat until it begins to boil.
- 22Lower heat to medium so that water does not boil over and continue cooking.
- 23Total cooking time after it starts to boil is 16-19 minutes.
- 24Remove bowl.
- 25Carefully drain water from kettle.
- 26Remove plate.
- 27Arrange leaves on a platter.
- 28Serve with lemon wedges.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lebanese Grape Leaves
Serving Size: 1 (2589 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 22.8
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 3.3 mg
- Sodium 149.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 1.0 g