Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
I originally got this recipe from my Great Grandma Ce. But I came up with the layered idea. Originally there were no corn tortillas, and it was more like a sort of meat loaf pie. This recipe is interesting, very tasty, and kid-friendly too!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in large skillet and add onions; cook until tender, but not brown.
- Add beef, brown well and Drain.
- Mix in the Taco Seasoning and 3/4 Cup water; let simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered, stirring frequently, until spice mixture is no longer runny.
- Stir crushed tomatoes, corn, and cornmeal into the meat; mix well.
- In an 9X9 round pyrex (or well greased metal) baking dish, place 4 of the 8 tortillas on the bottom, spread out, to cover the pan, add 1/2 of the meat mixture over the tortillas,and then 1/2 of the cheese.
- Repeat this layering process, ending in cheese.
- Place in oven to heat through, and melt cheese (about 25 minutes).
- Cut into 8 pieces across, as you would a pie.
Another delicious and quick one!
This was great! I did add green chilies to the onion/meat mixture but you could use bell pepper if you're worried about the heat. We loved it and I will definitely make again! Oh and I used a 10x10x2 corning ware pan after reading other reviews which worked for me. Next time, if I'm in a hurry, I'll use 2-10 oz. cans of Rotel in place of the onions, chilies and tomatoes.
Awesome! This is the best tamale pie recipe I have ever eaten! Most other tamale pie recipes are just a meat mixture on the bottom with cornbread baked on top. This recipe is more of a true 'pie' than any of the others. Definitely a keeper!