1/5 Photos of Layered Tamale Pie
Juju Bee's Note:
I originally got this recipe from my Great Grandma Ce. But I came up with the layered idea. Originally there were no corn tortillas, and it was more like a sort of meat loaf pie. This recipe is interesting, very tasty, and kid-friendly too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Heat oil in large skillet and add onions; cook until tender, but not brown.
- 3Add beef, brown well and Drain.
- 4Mix in the Taco Seasoning and 3/4 Cup water; let simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered, stirring frequently, until spice mixture is no longer runny.
- 5Stir crushed tomatoes, corn, and cornmeal into the meat; mix well.
- 6In an 9X9 round pyrex (or well greased metal) baking dish, place 4 of the 8 tortillas on the bottom, spread out, to cover the pan, add 1/2 of the meat mixture over the tortillas,and then 1/2 of the cheese.
- 7Repeat this layering process, ending in cheese.
- 8Place in oven to heat through, and melt cheese (about 25 minutes).
- 9Cut into 8 pieces across, as you would a pie.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Layered Tamale Pie
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.1
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 83.0 mg
- Sodium 493.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 24.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: