Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Found on a recipe card, easy to make and tastes great. Prep time includes refrigeration.
- 3 tablespoons custard powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup coffee liqueur (Tia Maria or Kahlua)
- 225 g sponge cakes
- 100 g dark chocolate, coarsley grated
- chocolate sprinkles or chocolate curls (to garnish)
- Combine custard powder and sugar in small saucepan.
- Whisk in 1/4 cup of the milk, mixing to a smooth paste.
- Stir in remaining milk.
- Stir over low heat until the custard comes to the boil and thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover surface of custard with a plastic food wrap and set aside to cool.
- Whip together cream and essence.
- Gently fold in to the cold custard.
- Dissolve coffee in the water.
- Stir in liqueur.
- Cut the sponge cake into bite sized cubes.
- Divide half the sponge between 4 parfait glasses.
- Drizzle half the coffee mixture over the sponge.
- Top with half the custard.
- Sprinkle over half the chocolate.
- Repeat these 3 layers once more, finishing with the chocolate.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Just before serving, garnish with the chocolate sprinkles or curls.
- *Freshlysqueezed orange juice makes a nice change from the coffee liqueur.