Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Never made sushi & afraid to try rolling some out? Try this layered version and cut the size portions that you wish. If you are hesitant to try sushi because of the seaweed sheets--this is the recipe for you!! This recipe does not use the seaweed sheets.Furikake nori is a mixture of shaved bonito seaweed, sesame seeds and wasabi horseradish. It can be purchased at oriental stores or online. Dashi is Japanese soup stock, which becomes the base of many Japanese dishes. This can also be found in the oriental section of a store or online. Passive time is the time for chilling and cooking the rice.
- Cook rice in water.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, salt and dashi in small pan & bring to a boil, then cool.
- Pour vinegar mixture over warm rice and mix inches.
- Line a 9x13 pan with wax paper.
- Spread 1/2 of the rice mixture into the pan.
- Spread mayonnaise on top of rice.
- Top with avocado, then crab, then remaining rice.
- Place a sheet of wax paper on top and pack firmly. An easy way to pack the rice is to place another 9x13 pan on top and lightly press down.
- Refrigerate until cool.
- Remove top layer of wax paper, invert pan onto a tray, and remove bottom layer of wax paper.
- Sprinkle the rice with furikake nori.
- Cut into serving pieces and enjoy.