Recipe by BonnieZ
I recieved this recipe from a girl I used to work with and it has been part of my Christmas cookie selection ever since. I could eat my weight in these things!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter or 1 1⁄2 cups margarine
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3 1⁄2 cups ground walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 (10 ounce) jars apricot filling
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites setting aside both.
- Dissolve dry yeast in 1/4 cup warm water.
- Work together flour and butter with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles course meal.
- Add egg yolks,yeast mixture and milk and mix well to combine (using your hands works best).
- Divide dough into 3 portions, one slightly larger for bottom crust.
- Cover& let sit in a draft free place to raise for 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile mix 3/1/2 cups ground walnuts with 1 cup of sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon.
- Mix well and reserve 1/2 cup of the nut mixture for the topping.
- Roll out larger portion of dough to fit a 15 x 10 sheet pan with 1 inch sides.
- Place the dough in the bottom of the sheet pan and cover with the nut mixture.
- Roll second sheet of dough to a 15x 10 rectangle and place on top of the nut layer.
- Evenly spread 2 jars of apricot filling on the second layer of dough.
- Roll third crust and place on top of the apricot layer.
- Score the top layer of the dough into 1 1/2 inch squares.
- Bake 350°F for 35 minutes and let cool on baking rack.
- Meanwhile beat 4 egg whites with 1/2 cup of sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Add almond extract and combine well.
- Spread on top of cooled, baked crust being sure to spread to all edges of the pan to prevent shrinking a sweating of the meringue.
- Sprinkle with reserved nut mixture.
- Bake at 325°F for 15 minutes and let cool.
- Store covered in the refrigerator, slicing into squares before serving.