1 hr 45 mins
Chef #931435's Note:
A great family pie. Easy to make, cook and eat--great for when friends drop in. Just add veggies and you are in business. This recipe came from a friend of mine (hence the title).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 320 g bacon, diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 large potato, grated
- salt & pepper, to taste
- mixed herbs, to taste
- parsley, to taste
- tasty cheese, grated
- 1 -1 1/2 cup water
- 1 kg minced beef
- 1 cube of beef stock melted with hot water
- Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1/2 cup water, mix together
The Potato Mash
- 1THE BEEF & BACON.
- 2Sauté the onion and garlic on a low heat until cooked.
- 3Add bacon and fry (turn up to a medium heat to lightly cook bacon),.
- 4Remove all ingredients from the pan,.
- 5Add the mince to the empty pan; cook until browned and liquid has reduced.
- 6Add the onion, garlic and diced bacon into the pan with the mince. Add the grated carrot, grated potato, mixed herbs, parsley, beef stock with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- 7Add water; mix well and then cook on low heat until liquid has reduced by half.
- 8Add cornflour and water until sauce thickens. Remove from pan and cool.
- 9THE POTATO MASH: Cook potatoes and heat milk. Mash all together when potatoes are cooked and nearly falling apart.
- 10THE PIE:.
- 11Grease a large semi deep (about 10 - 12 cm deep) baking tray and line with puff pastry . Place beef and bacon mixture (once cool) in tray lined with pastry.
- 12Cook in oven on 180°C until pastry is lightly browned. Remove from oven.
- 13Place the potato mash over the mince; smooth out and sprinkle with grated tasty cheese to satisfaction.
- 14Heat oven to 220°C Place on middle shelf and bake for approximately 20 - 30 minutes.
- 15Allow to sit for 5 minutes and then it's ready to be portioned, served and enjoyed.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Laura O'connell's Beef and Bacon Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (595 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 758.8
- Calories from Fat 367
- Total Fat 40.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 123.2 mg
- Sodium 479.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 35.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: