Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Chef K taught me how to make these beans in my culinary class CFJP. When Chef K gave us our beans he had mixed together the red & pinto beans in a big bowl. He gave us all about 2 cups of beans. The brown sugar is something I added to give the beans a bit of a sweet taste.
- fat (I used 4 strips of chopped bacon)
- vegetables (such as shallots, green onions, garlic, onions)
- canned beans, in sauce (red and pinto)
- tomato sauce
- manzanilla olives, chopped (I used 1 tsp)
- capers (I used 1 tsp)
- tomatoes, chopped
- citrus zest (lemon or lime)
- white wine vinegar
- beef broth (I used chicken) or beef base (I used chicken)
- seasoning (sazon, cumin, coriander)
- brown sugar
- chives, chopped (garnish)
- Slice shallots and green onions. Mince garlic and onions. Saute in hot pan the fat until vegetables are tender.
- Once the vegetables have cooked tender add the beans, sauce, olives, capers, tomatoes, zest (I used lemon), white wine vinegar, and beef broth.
- Add seasonings and brown sugar.
- Cook this down until it's thick like a sauce, but not to thick. Garnish with chives if using.
- Serve over cooked saffron rice (I seasoned with salt, cumin, coriander, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and butter flavored with lemon zest).