Recipe by PanNan
This is the Barefoot Contessa's recipe from her Family Style cookbook, changing the wording slightly. It's posted in response to a request for it. I haven't tried it yet.
Top Review by Mereaux
I've been making this recipe for a while now. I saw Ina make it on her show and was convinced to try it. This is absolutely the best lasagna I've ever had; it's my go-to now. It sounds a bit like a novelty item with the goat cheese and turkey sausage, but it still has a very traditional taste, and everything is so complimentary. If you're unsure about the goat cheese, don't worry. It doesn't dominate the flavor of the dish, but rather lends a very nice and delicious creaminess. You must try this recipe!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, in tomato puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb lasagna noodle
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
- 1 extra large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet.
- Add onion and cook 5 minutes over med-low heat until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add sausage and cook for 8- 10 minutes, or until no longer pink, while stirring occasssionally to break up the meat.
- Add tomatoes, paste, 2 tbsp parsley, basil, 1 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered for 15- 20 min until thickened.
- Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with very hot tap water.
- Add the noodles and allow to sit in the water 20 min.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, egg, 2 tbsp parsley, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Set aside.
- Ladle 1/3 of the sauce into a 9 X 12 X 2" baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom.
- Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and one third of the sauce.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients in the same order.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes, until sauce is bubbling.
- Can be made ahead, and refrigerated until ready to bake for 30- 40 minutes.