Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This Lasagna is uotstanding. It was a recipe from my mother which we have been using for 35 years or more. Everyone loves it. I often make 10 pans at a time to serve to a large group or to freeze.
- 1⁄2 lb lasagna noodle
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon dry parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 13 ounces tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 pint dry curd cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 lb parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese (sliced)
- Cook noodles in salted water, 15 minutes - drain.
- Heat oil, cook garlic and onion, add beef and seasonings, sauté until well browned, add tomato paste and tomatoes, simmer 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Blend eggs with cottage cheese in the food processor, add parmesan cheese, blend until smooth.
- Put half of meat sauce in bottom of a lasagna pan, put half of the noodles on top, then the cottage cheese mixture, then the rest of the noodles, then the rest of the meat sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees (325 in convection oven) for approx ½ to 3/4 of an hour or until browned and bubbly.
- After 20 to 30 minutes, cover with sliced (I prefer grated) mozarella cheese and return to oven.
Benson, this truly was the best lasagna ever. I made it for the second time last week and Dave and I have been eating the whole pan throughout the week. He loves it when I send it in his lunch. The trick really is cooking it 1/2-3/4 of the way through before adding cheese. I found when I did that and then just waited for the cheese to become golden it was the perfect consistency and didn't fall apart in the pan at all. SO delicious. Creamy and full of the good stuff, it just hits the spot.