Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This is my husband's Genoese grandmother's recipe for the filling for ravioli. However, if you don't have the time/skill to make "ravs," you can use it in stuffed shells or -- my favorite -- lasagna. Just use a sauce (homemade or store-bought) that contains basil for that true Genoese flavor!
- 1⁄2 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 2 lbs spinach, cooked
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 1 lb cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb lasagna noodle
- 16 ounces tomato sauce (with basil)
- To make filling, cook sausage, remove casings and crumble. Put in bowl with drained chopped spinach. Add ricotta, cream cheese, garlic salt, eggs, grated Parmesan (or Romano), bread crumbs, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Layer filling, sauce, and noodles in a 9" x 13" casserole. Sprinkle grated mozzarella on top.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until done (approximately 45 minutes).