Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Everyday with Rachel Ray. Tweaked just a tiny bit by me. A sturdy bun is a must, and a little more fresh basil on top never hurt anyone.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canitalian crushed tomatoes
- 1 handful basil, shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup lowfat ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 hamburger buns or 4 ciabatta, rolls-toasted
- In large bowl, season meat with plenty of salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties, thinner in middle for more even cooking.
- In a saucepan, heat oil over med heat. Add onion and cook til softened, about 5 min; add the garlic and cook 2 min more, then stir in the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer 5 min; stir in basil.
- In large skillet, heat a drizzle of oil over med-high. Add patties and cook, turning once til desired doneness.
- While patties are cooking, in small saucepan, melt butter over med heat; whisk in flour for 1 min then whisk in milk. Season with salt , pepper, and nutmeg. Cook til thickened, about 5 minute Stir in ricotta and parmesan.
- Spoon some red sauce on roll bottoms, then top with patties. Dollop with cheese sauce and place top bun on cheese.