Recipe by Tea Girl
Typical good pub food. Based on: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9099/lancashire-hotpot
Top Review by breezermom
I have to be honest and say I really do not like organ meat. However, I decided to be adventurous for ZWT and try this out. the gravy is wonderful. Really enjoyed the lamb, potatoes and carrots, but not so much the kidneys. Made for ZWT8! Thanks for sharing.
- 100 g drippings or 100 g butter
- 900 g stewing lamb, cut into large chunks
- 3 lambs kidneys, sliced, fat removed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 25 g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 500 ml lamb or 500 ml chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 900 g potatoes, peeled and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
- Heat some dripping or butter in a large shallow casserole dish, brown the lamb in batches, lift to a plate, then repeat with the kidneys.
- Fry the onions and carrots in the pan with a little more dripping until golden. Sprinkle over the flour, allow to cook for a couple of mins, shake over the Worcestershire sauce, pour in the stock, then bring to the boil. Stir in the meat and bay leaves, then turn off the heat.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes on top of the meat, then drizzle with a little more dripping. Cover, then place in the oven for about 1½ hrs until the potatoes are cooked.
- Remove the lid, brush the potatoes with a little more dripping, then turn the oven up to brown the potatoes, or finish under the grill for 5-8 mins until brown.