Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
A hearty, winter warming comfort food: tender lamb shanks with lentils and sweet pumpkin! Adapted from a Simply Great Meals Recipe club recipe.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 onions, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 (400 g) can whole canned tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (400 g) can brown lentils, undrained
- 500 g butternut pumpkin, cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- 4 crusty rolls, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large (preferably non-stick) saucepan (one which you can cover, in a later step), add the lamb and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until the lamb has browned; remove and set aside.
- Add a little more oil if it is needed (but if you are using a non-stick pan this shouldn't be necessary), then add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until they are tender.
- Return the lamb to the saucepan with the stock, potatoes and tomatoes and simmer covered for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the undrained brown lentils, pumpkin and thyme; season to taste; and simmer uncovered for a further 30-40 minutes or until the lamb is tender.
- Serve - garnished with parsley - in large bowls and crusty rolls.
We loved this soup! the only change I made was I added in some cayenne pepper and increased the garlic to 8 cloves, this is so good, I'm going to try it with pearl barley next time, thanks for sharing bluemoon!