Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is equivalent to a Kas Kas Curry my grandmother used to make. The gravy is delicious.
Make and share this Lamb Curry - Malaysian Eurasian Style recipe from Food.com.
- 600 g cubed lamb or 600 g lamb shoulder
- 1 lime
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
To be ground together
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons poppy seeds (kas kas)
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 -8 small shallots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder (depending on taste)
- 2 inches fresh turmeric
To fry and set aside
- 3 -5 shallots (quartered)
- 4 fresh chili peppers (sliced lengthwise into 4)
- 1 inch gingerroot, sliced thinly
- Saute ground ingredients in corn oil until brown and the spiced fragrance is mellowed down.
- Add the lamb and stir fry till meat is browned.
- Add coconut milk and continue to stir for 5 to 10 minutes. Simmer over slow fire for 45 minutes, adding water whenever necessary. The gravy should be just covering the meat.
- When the dish is ready to serve (hot), garnish with the fried ingredients and squeezed lime over it.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Very good and classically spicy without overpowering the lamb cubes. Be careful of the chilli powder if you can't take too spicy. Love the freshly squeezed lime juice in it at serving time.