Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Lalab is a Sundanese (Indonesia) raw vegetable salad served with sambal terasi. This salad is similar to an American raw vegetable plate where guests can dunk vegetables into the center dip or make a salad with the center dip as a dressing. It is usually served as a vegetable side dish next to the main course, such as fried/grilled chicken or fried/grilled fish.
- 10 Thai chiles
- 3 arbol chili peppers
- 2 tomatoes
- 14.79 ml shrimp paste (vegetarian) or 14.79 ml yellow bean paste (vegetarian)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 14.79 ml dark brown sugar or 14.79 ml granulated sugar
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 473.18 ml cabbage, sliced
- 1 large cucumber, sliced
- 473.18 ml lettuce, sliced
- 236.59 ml sour papaya, sliced
- 473.18 ml green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 473.18 ml small tomatoes, quartered
- 236.59 ml fresh basil, minced
- 473.18 ml spinach leaves
- 1 green eggplant, thick sliced (small)
- Put all chili peppers and tomatoes in a blender or a food processor; add in a little bit of water. Blend them until they look like juice. Heat the frying pan, Add in shrimp paste and dry fry for 1 minute. Pour in the mixture from the blender/food processor, salt, sugar and lemon juice. Stir until the liquid is a bit dry. Pour the sambal in a clean jar and keep in the fridge. Chill until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, place bowl in middle of serving platter. Fill with sambal terasi along with ladle. Around bowl, place vegetables washed in cold water and served raw.