Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe from October 2008 edition of Food & Wine.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 thinly sliced garlic clove
- 1⁄2 lb kielbasa, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 lbs mussels, scrubbed
- 1 1⁄2 cups lager beer
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped fresh dill
- In a large, deep pot, heat the olive oil. Add the kielbasa, shallot and sliced garlic, season lightly with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring, until the garlic is softened and lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add the mussels and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the lager, cover and steam the mussels until they open, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels to 4 deep bowls, discarding any mussels that do not open.
- Add the butter, mustard and dill to the broth, swirling and shaking the pot until the butter melts.
- Slowly pour the broth over the mussels, stopping before you reach the grit at the bottom of the pot.