Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From a community church cookbook. A favorite with my twins.
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- Place bacon slices in 13x9 inch glass baking dish.
- Pour rice over bacon.
- Place chicken breasts on top of rice.
- Lightly sprinkle chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Mix together water, oregano, parsley, and soup.
- Pour evenly over the chicken/rice.
- Cover tightly with foil; bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (depends on your oven).
I liked the flavor, but my rice came out half-crunchy. Perhaps this was because I used boneless skinless breasts, so they cooked too quickly? Next time I will try half cooking the rice on the stove before assembling and baking the dish.
This was fantastic--pure comfort food! I used thick cut bacon and just covered the bottom of the dish which took 6 slices. We loved the flavor the bacon gave the rice. We will most certainly be having this again. Thank you NurseDi!!!