Recipe by AussieHusky
Labna is a traditional middle eastern cheese, Its very easy to make at home, and extremely tasty, and quite healthy. After seeing this for $15 for 100g, I decided to make this myself.
- 500 g Greek yogurt
- good quality olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- fresh herb (any mix of Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, Taragon)
- 5 drops Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the garlic salt thoroughly with the Yogurt, Traditionally we would use real garlic, But Garlic can Botulise in oil and become toxic, So to be safe this provides the same flavour without the health risk.
- Line a strainer with a Chux Cloth (Or any fine, clean cloth) and pour in the yogurt, place it in the fridge for 2-3 days over a bowl, roughly half the liquid (Whey) will be removed.
- Roll the cheese into small balls about the size of a large cherry, Place them in an airtight container, Do one layer of balls, Then sprinkle your selection of herbs over the top, pour in just enough oil to cover them, then one drop of Tabasco, Repeat the layering until you are finished,.
- The oil may solidify, This means the oil you have used has a high wax content, or your fridge is to cold, But this shouldn't happen to most people, and if it does just leave it out for 2 or 3 minutes before eating some, the oil will melt.
- Let them marinate for at least 5 days before eating, They will keep for about a month, The oil is wonderful for cooking with when your done.