144 hrs 25 mins
This recipe is posted by request and is from the La Brea Bakery. 1 large or 2 small loaves
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups bread flour, plus
- 3 cups bread flour, for feeding
- 2 1/2 cups tepid tap water, plus
- 3 cups tepid tap water, for feeding
- 1/2 lb stemmed red grapes
- 7 cups bread flour
- 2 cups bread, starter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup tepid tap water (or more)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus some for the bowl
- 1 package dry active yeast or 1 1/2 tablespoons dry active yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1For the Starter~.
- 2Stir the flour and water together-mix well.
- 3Tie the grapes in clean doubled cheesecloth.
- 4Lightly crush grapes, swish through the flour/water mixture then submerge.
- 5Cover tightly with a lid or plastic wrap.
- 6Leave@ room temp.
- 7Day 3-Lift out the bag of grapes and squeeze their juices back into the starter.
- 8Stir up the starter to incorporate juices.
- 9Day 4-Stir in 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of water into the container, blending well.
- 10Let stand at room temp until it bubbles up, around 3-4 hours.
- 11Cover and place in the fridge.
- 12Day 5-repeat day 4.
- 13Day 6-repeat day 5.
- 14Now you are ready to use this starter.
- 15It will keep for 4-5 months in your fridge.
- 16Rustic Bread~.
- 17Measure flour into the bowl of a large food processor and add the 2 cups starter.
- 18Measure out the the rest of the ingredients and mix together the milk and water.
- 19Turn on the processor and pour in the water/milk mixture in a thin stream.
- 20Add the three T. olive oil in a thin stream.
- 21Add the yeast and process for 25 seconds.
- 22Add the salt and process 5 seconds more.
- 23Your batter should be a bit like soft cooked oatmeal.
- 24Let rest, in bowl for 5 minutes.
- 25Process for 20 seconds.
- 26Lightly oil a large glass bowl and scrape in the dough.
- 27Cover with plastic wrap and let rest until doubled, around 2&1/2 hours.
- 28Punch down and turn out onto a lightly floured board.
- 29Let rest for 5 minutes.
- 30Knead for 8-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding a small amount of flour if needed.
- 31Form into 1 or two round loaves.
- 32You can place rounds onto a lightly flour dusted baking sheet-no baking stone needed OR Place a baking stone in the center of your oven and preheat to 500 degrees 30 minutes before baking.
- 33Let rounds rise until doubled, around 1&1/2 hours.
- 34Place baking sheet into center rack of oven OR GENTLY place raised dough rounds onto the hot stone and spritz oven with water.
- 35Close and reduce heat to 400 degrees.
- 36Bake for 25 minutes or until done, spritzing oven a few times.
- 37Knock on the loaf and if it sounds hollow it's done.
- 38(very scientific, I know!) Remove to cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for La Brea Starter and Rustic Bread
Serving Size: 1 (3469 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6210.7
- Calories from Fat 538
- Total Fat 59.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 6.4 mg
- Sodium 7545.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1225.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 45.6 g
- Sugars 42.2 g
- Protein 166.1 g