1/5 Photos of L - C Gluten Free Basic Flax Meal Focaccia Bread
Nana Lee's Note:
From Laura Dolson,Your Guide to Low Carb Diets on About.com. "I call this "focaccia" because it is baked in that style - flat on a sheet pan, and then cut up into whatever sized pieces you want. It works for toast, sandwiches, and other bready uses. It is "rough" in texture like heavy whole grain breads. Since it isn't made with wheat, it doesn't have the same kind of grain as wheat breads, but the carb in flax is almost all fiber. Flax is very useful on a low carb diet, as well as being amazingly good for you."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350º F.
- 2Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- 3Mix dry ingredients well - a whisk works well.
- 4Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.
- 5Let batter set for 2-3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.).
- 6Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).
- 7Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.
- 8Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife - I usually just cut it with a spatula.
- 9At 12 servings, each piece of bread has less than one gram of carbohydrate - .8 to be exact - plus 5 grams of fiber.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for L - C Gluten Free Basic Flax Meal Focaccia Bread
Serving Size: 1 (57 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 183.5
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 77.5 mg
- Sodium 320.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: