Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Got this from a book entitled "The Complete Asian Cookbook" by Charmaine Solomon
- 2 lbs raw prawns
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 8 cups hot water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 ea. stalks lemongrass or 4 slices lemon rind, thinly peeled
- 2 -3 ea. whole chilies
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (to taste)
- 1 ea. fresh red chili, seeded and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 4 ea. spring onions, chopped
- Shell and de-vein prawns. Wash prawn heads well, drain thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry heads and shells of prawns until they turn pink. Add hot water, salt, lemon grass or rind, citrus leaves and whole chilies. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until prawns are cooked.
- Add fish sauce and lemon juice to taste. This soup should have a pronounced acid flavor, so add sufficient lemon juice to achieve this.
- Serve in a large tureen or in soup plates, sprinkled with sliced chili, coriander leaves and spring onions.