Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I only had 4 sheets of phyllo left and I wanted something a little bit more substantial. The lonely kumara in my veg bin was the perfect answer.
- Finely chop the onion and fry in oil until soft.
- Add the garlic and washed and chopped spinach. Cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Set aside to cool.
- Line a baking dish (size smaller than the sheets of phyllo) with 4 sheets of phyllo, brushing each sheet with butter and finishing with an unbuttered sheet.
- Fill the pie with the spinach mixture.
- Lightly beat the eggs with the milk and seasoning. Pour over the spinach.
- Grate the gouda on top of the spinach. I used a mild cheese with garlic and herbs through it. You may want to add other herbs if you use an unseasoned cheese.
- Peel and thinly slice a kumara. I use a mandoline for this. The slices need to be quite thin to cook in the same time as the egg mixture.
- Lay the slices on top of the spinach and cheese, overlapping slightly.
- Dot the top with butter and put in an oven at 180degC or 350F for 30 minutes or until the kumara is soft.
- Grate some parmesan cheese over the kumara in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Note: the kumara will probably discolour slightly but the parmesan cheese covers that up. Turn the oven temp up a little to brown the cheese.
- Serve with a salad.