Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From The New Moosewood Cookbook which was first published in the late 1970s. This is the most amazing & delicious potato salad I've ever eaten, worth the price of the cookbook for this dish alone. Easily makes a full meal. Cooking time is actually minimum chilling time. UPDATE: If you're just looking for a traditional potatoes-boiled eggs-mayo salad, this is not the one for you.
- 6 medium potatoes, unpeeled, boiled in skins, diced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 chopped sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- chopped fresh parsley
- alfalfa sprout
- 118.29 ml toasted cashews
- 59.14 ml mixed roasted sunflower seeds or 59.14 ml sesame seeds
- carrot, coarsely grated (optional)
- chopped celery (optional)
- radish (optional)
- raw fresh peas (optional)
- 177.44 ml mayonnaise
- 4.92-9.85 ml salt and pepper, to taste
- 0.25 ml tamari
- 118.29 ml cider vinegar
- 2.46 ml dry mustard
- 2.46 ml tarragon
- 4.92 ml prepared horseradish
- fresh spinach (optional)
- olive (optional)
- lemon wedge (optional)
- Combine potatoes through peas.
- Combine mayonnaise through horseradish and toss with potatoes mixture.
- If desired, serve on a bed of spinach garnished with olives and lemon wedges.
I enjoyed this creamy salad with potatoes! I used a yellow bell pepper only sunflower seeds skipped the sprouts and optional radish But did use 1 carrot, coarsely chopped, chopped celery, and raw frozen peas. And did not use the optional fresh spinach, olives,or lemon wedges. Thanks for the Comfort Goodness!
This was not that time consuming. I made half a batch. I diced the potatoes, then put them, with the egg, in the water to boil for about 9 minutes. I rinsed under cold water then. Didn't have the parsley or alfalfa. Used sunflower seeds and carrots. I used 1/8 C cider vinegar. Made it all and let sit overnight till lunch. DH liked it (except for nuts) and I was so-so about it. So I am giving it a 3 star (liked it.)