Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe was feature on Paula Deen's cooking show on the Food Network. She said it's by a viewer name Bill Nicholson. I had to post it because it is a great recipe.
- 2 dozen krispy kreme doughnuts
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans fruit cocktail (undrained)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (9 ounce) box raisins
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Butter Rum Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (1 lb) box confectioners' sugar
- rum, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cube donuts into a large bowl.
- Pour other ingredients on top of donuts and let soak for a few minutes.
- Mix all ingredients together until donuts have soaked up the liquid as much as possible.
- Bake for about 1 hour until center has jelled.
- Top with Butter Rum Sauce.
- For butter rum sauce:.
- Melt butter and slowly stir in confectioners' sugar.
- Add rum and heat until bubbly.
- Pour over each serving of Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding.
A colleague brought this to work a few years ago and it was TO DIE FOR!!! Way rich, but soooo yummy! I think the rum sauce makes it even that much better! Definitely something to make if you get a B1G1 coupon to Krispy Kream and are ready to SPLURGE on fat n calories!!
I have made this for guests several times since having a version of it at a friend's house. I knew that I could find something like it on Zaar.......and I hit the jackpot, because there is a Paula Deen version! OMG! Everyone flips out over this. I am not normally a "sweet' person, but this is an exception. Don't leave anything out....especially the fruit cocktail. It makes it so pretty. I usually use TWO. 8.75 oz cans. Also, I read in one of the reviews that someone was displeased with the sauce, so I used my favorite rum sauce from the site: http://www.recipezaar.com/9347 I ALWAYS add more rum, of course.:) Be sure to follow the tip in another review, to put the donuts in the refrigerator ahead of time to make them a lot easier to cut up. I usually buy them the day before and leave them in there overnight before I put it all together. Isn't Paula Deen a genius? She makes so many of us look so good!
My sister made this for our Thanksgiving dinner. It was very good,& very rich. The "rum sauce was good ( she used Cuban rum ), but it was very thick and when it cooled it was extremely hard. I think that the next time she makes it, or I do, I will talk her into adding some water to the sauce so that it is more of a sauce. All in all though, it was good.