Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
I have loved this recipe since I was little and it was the best the way my grandmother made it. You can make it into any shape or letters you like.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon anise seed (heaping)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Rub the melted butter into the sugar.
- Add salt, egg and anise seed.
- Mix baking soda into the sour cream.
- Add the milk, 2 cups of SIFTED flour.
- Add baking powder and remainder of flour.
- Put plastic wrap into bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Grease cookie sheets.
- Roll into log and cut off about size of ping pong ball.
- Bake at 400°F (204-205°C) for about 5 minutes.
- Broil for 1 minute.