Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the recipe for the fruitcake that used to be sold by Kresge's (K-Mart)every Christmas. At one time they were handing out the recipe to lucky shoppers. It's one of our favorite seasonal cakes. It just wouldn't be Christmas without it. Bake times are guestimates.
- Line 2 loaf pans with well greased brown paper or foil, shiny side down. (9 x 5 x 3 inches).
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Cream butter and sugar together for five minutes.
- Stir in beaten egg yolks. Stir in milk; mix well.
- Chop the almonds and the fruits. Mix together and then stir into creamed mixture.
- Sift together dry ingredients and stir into creamed mixture, combining well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Fold into cake batter along with the lemon extract.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until cake tests done, using a skewer. (About 1 hour).
- Allow to rest on rack and cool to warm before removing from pans.