Recipe by MarieRynr
This is the recipe for the fruitcake that used to be sold by Kresge's (K-Mart)every Christmas. At one time they were handing out the recipe to lucky shoppers. It's one of our favorite seasonal cakes. It just wouldn't be Christmas without it. Bake times are guestimates.
Top Review by Colleen H.
Kresge's made the best fruitcake. It was moist and very tasty. Havent been able to find one as good as theirs since they closed all the kresge and kmarts in canada. Will have to try this receipt. Thank you.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup blanched almond
- 1 cup mixed peel, diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups glace cherries
- 3 cups white raisins
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Line 2 loaf pans with well greased brown paper or foil, shiny side down. (9 x 5 x 3 inches).
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Cream butter and sugar together for five minutes.
- Stir in beaten egg yolks. Stir in milk; mix well.
- Chop the almonds and the fruits. Mix together and then stir into creamed mixture.
- Sift together dry ingredients and stir into creamed mixture, combining well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Fold into cake batter along with the lemon extract.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until cake tests done, using a skewer. (About 1 hour).
- Allow to rest on rack and cool to warm before removing from pans.