Recipe by Ilse Weitz
My husband being Volga Deutsch, always talked about some of what he called Depression Meals while living home as a boy. Being from Northern Germany, I had never heard of Kraut Kuchen so this recipe came from his mother.
Top Review by dedemiami
These are fantastic. I've been making them for years. The only thing I do different is use thawed frozen bread dough instead of the hot roll mix. Also, you can make appetizers by rolling up the meat/cabbage mixture in egg roll wrappers and deep fry. Yummy. We use a hot mustard sauce to dip them in.
- 1 lb ground chuck
- onion, chopped fine
- 2 lbs cabbage, cut in small strips
- 1 package hot roll mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion with ground chuck in one frying pan and the cabbage in another.
- Salt and pepper to your taste.
- Let simmer until done and then drain well.
- Prepare hot dough mix.
- Divide into 12 equal amounts and roll dough extremely thin.
- Place handful of meat-cabbage mixture in center and fold corners into center.
- Set folded side down on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F until brown, 20 25 minutes.