Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a clone of the sauce that comes in the foil package from Kraft Deluxe Mac and Cheese, this is just as good if not even better, and cost a lot less than the boxed, the cheese sauce takes minutes to make and may used for other recipes also -- this does not make a huge amount so you may wish to double.
- 1 3⁄4 cups dry uncooked macaroni noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup grated old cheddar cheese (measure 1/3 cup lightly packed shredded cheddar)
- 1⁄2 cup kraft Cheez Whiz
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream (can use milk)
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the macaroni in a large pot of boiling water until just tender (about 12 to 10 minutes) strain but DO NOT rinse.
- Transfer the hot macaroni to a bowl then toss with 2 tablespoons butter; set aside.
- For the cheese sauce (make this while you are cooking the macaroni) over lowest heat setting in a small saucepan combine the grated cheddar cheese, Cheeze Whiz, cream and salt; stir continuously until heated and smooth watching closely so that it does not burn.
- Pour the smooth sauce over the cooked macaroni; mix until combined.
- Serve immediately.