Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1 5⁄8 kg chicken, skinned, excess fat removed and cut into pieces, giblets reserved (3 1/2 lb)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 175 g onions, thinly sliced (6 oz)
- 6 -10 cloves garlic, whole (to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 fresh figs
- 250 ml mavrothaphne (8 fl oz) or 250 ml ruby port (8 fl oz)
- lemon, juice and zest of, finely grated
- 15 g flat leaf parsley, finely grated
- Arrange the chicken pieces and giblets in a heavy roasting dish.
- Sprinkle with the spices and salt and massage into the flesh.
- Distribute the onions, garlic, bay leaves and figs over and between the chicken pieces, pour in the wine and cover.
- Cook in an oven preheated to 180 C/350 F/Gas 4 for about 50 minutes, until the chicken is barely tender.
- Stir in the lemon zest and juice and return to the oven until almost falling from the bones - another 10-I5 minutes.
- If there is an excess of liquid, leave off the cover for this part of the cooking.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with saffron
Excellent Chicken dish! Everyone loved it! I also peeled the figs and cut them into halves as they were quite large. Chicken was tender and very flavorful! Thank you for posting this recipe!
I have made this recipe so many times, even one time didn't have figs and it was still good. Didn't have fresh figs one time and added dried figs. It is a great dish. Thanks for sharing.
I love this recipe - it smells wonderful cooking and it's so unique. I didn't like the color of the skin or texture of the onions when I initially finished baking it, so I just removed the foil, cranked my heat up to 475 and let it crisp, but then my oven is slow, so often I have to make adjustments. I'll definitely make this again.