My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 5/8 kg chicken, skinned, excess fat removed and cut into pieces, giblets reserved (3 1/2 lb)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 175 g onions, thinly sliced (6 oz)
- 6 -10 cloves garlic, whole (to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 fresh figs
- 250 ml mavrothaphne (8 fl oz) or 250 ml ruby port (8 fl oz)
- lemon, juice and zest of, finely grated
- 15 g flat leaf parsley, finely grated
- 1Arrange the chicken pieces and giblets in a heavy roasting dish.
- 2Sprinkle with the spices and salt and massage into the flesh.
- 3Distribute the onions, garlic, bay leaves and figs over and between the chicken pieces, pour in the wine and cover.
- 4Cook in an oven preheated to 180 C/350 F/Gas 4 for about 50 minutes, until the chicken is barely tender.
- 5Stir in the lemon zest and juice and return to the oven until almost falling from the bones - another 10-I5 minutes.
- 6If there is an excess of liquid, leave off the cover for this part of the cooking.
- 7Sprinkle with parsley and serve with saffron
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kotopoulo Me Sika (Chicken with Figs in Red Wine)
Serving Size: 1 (578 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 645.6
- Calories from Fat 335
- Total Fat 37.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 182.5 mg
- Sodium 176.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 22.2 g
- Protein 47.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: