Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Another variation on red bean sweet soup.
- 2 cups dried adzuki beans
- 1⁄2 cup rice, raw (washed and soaked in water for at least 20 minutes)
- 4 ounces rice cakes, thinly sliced
- In a heavy pot, cook the red beans with 12 cups of water for 30 minutes over a medium flame. Stir frequently. Then cook for 40 more minutes over a low flame. Let the soup cool. The beans should look smothered and the consistency dense.
- Remove the outer shells of the red beans. Use a mesh strainer and pour the bean soup through it. If the consistency is too thick, add some water to help separate the peel further and press the beans through the strainer.
- Pour the strained soup back into the pot. Add the rice and 2 cups of water and cook for 15 minutes over a medium flame. Stir constantly.
- Over a low flame, cook for 15 minutes more, stirring. Add the rice cake and cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- If the soup feels too thick, add a little water until it is the desired consistency.