Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hollanders like plain, substantial food and lots of it. This hearty dish is from the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time approximate.
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled (8 medium)
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cream, as needed
- Cook potatoes and cabbage separately in boiling, salted water.
- Drain and mash together with butter; season.
- If mixture is too dry, add hot cream to moisten, about 1/2 cup.
Very tasty mashed potatoes, we love the cabbage added to them! Just made half a recipe with a half small cabbage i needed to use up. We like the skin so I left the skin on and I used becel margarine instead of the butter and a very light touch of 2% milk. They look quite yellow cus I used Yokon gold potatoes. Easy and tasty, I will make them often, thanks for poslting.