Recipe by udita
Konafah is a middle-eastern dessert dish made of Phyllo dough and Riccota cheese.You have to buy a special dough "Shredded Phillo Dough" (Kataifi) from a Middle Eastern store.This Konafah recipe uses nuts as filling, but there are several other recipes that use other ingredients like ricotta cheese.
- 500 g phyllo pastry (found at Arabic or Mediterranean grocery store)
- 250 g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons cups heavy cream
Walnut or Pistachio Filling
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup pistachios, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Make Syrup with:.
- 1 cup sugar.
- 1/4 cup water.
- 2 tsp lemon juice.
- 1 tsp orange blossom water.
- Cream Filling.
- 2 tablespoons ground rice.
- 1 tablespoons sugar.
- 1 1/2 cups milk.
- 2 Tbsp cup heavy cream.
- Walnut or Pistachios Filling.
- 1 cup walnuts and pistachios; chopped.
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Prepare the syrup by combining all and simmering over medium heat until thickened. Stir in orange blossom water and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Cream filling:.
- Mix ground rice and sugar to a smooth paste with 1/2 the milk.
- Boil the rest of the milk and add the ground rice paste slowly, stirring continuously. Simmer until thick.
- Let cool, add cream and mix well.
- Walnut or pistachio filling:.
- Mix the chopped nuts with sugar. Put the konafa pastry in a large bowl and pull apart to separate the strands as much as possible. Pour melted butter over them and work it in thoroughly.
- Put half of the pastry in a large, deep oven dish. Spread either filling over it evenly.
- Cover with the remaining pastry and flattening out with the palm of your hand.
- Bake at uncovered 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Then increase temperature to 400 degrees for an additional 10 minutes or longer until it is golden.
- Remove from the oven and immediately pour the cold syrup over the hot konafa. Serve hot or cold.
- It is delicious when still warm.