This is a traditional South African dessert. These very addictive treats are not for people who are conscious of weight or sugar intake! These freeze fantastically well and are thus a great lifesaver for when unexpected company arrive. Time to make does not include overnight chilling time.
- Rub butter into flour, baking powder, salt.
- Beat eggs and milk and then mix into above.
- Place dough in ziplock bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Bring all ingredients to boil stirring all the time and boil for 5 minutes.
- Cool down.
- Store in fridge overnight – must be well chilled.
- Making and assembling:.
- Roll dough out 1/4 inch thick and cut strips 1 inch wide and 2 1/2 inches long.
- Take ends of dough and twist and seal off ends by pressing together.
- Fry in hot deep oil.
- Dunk instantly into ice cold syrup.