Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs 20 mins
For a crips outcome, do your baking on a dry day -- humidity makes for a soft-textured meringue. The cooking time includes the 2 1/2 hour resting time.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 kiwi fruits, peeled, haved lenthwise and thinkly sliced crosswise
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 200; with rack in center. Lin a large rimmed baking sheed with parchment paper; set aside. In a small bowl; whisk sugar and cornstarch until combined.
- Make meringue: In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites, lemon juice and salt until very frothy. Add 1 tablespoon sugar mixture every 30 seconds, until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 8 minutes total, scraping down sides halfway through.
- Mound meringue onto prepared baking sheet; gently spread to a 9 inch circle with a well in the center and 1 inch raised border around the edge.
- Bake until shell is crisp on the outside and marshmallowy on the inside, about 2 1/2 hours (reduce oven temperature to 175 if it starts to brown). Turn oven off; let meringue try out in closed oven for another 2 1/2 hours, or up to over-night. (Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days.).
- Just before serving using an electric mixer, beat cream and vanilla in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. Fill shell with whipped cream, and top with fruit. To serve use a serrated knife to cut into wedges.