Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A long time family favorite, fresh strawberries in a delicious glaze piled onto a baked crust then topped with whipped cream, you can use a regular baked pie crust or a graham pie crust, a purchased graham cracker crust makes this easy but of coarse you may make your own crust --- I have even added in strawberry extract for even more flavor in the glaze, but that is only optional --- plan ahead the pie must chill for about 4 hours or until completely set before topping with the whipped cream, prep time includes chilling time.
Top Review by Equusjoy
Made this and followed the recipe exactly except mine did not set up. After all that work I wasn't about to toss it, so I put it in the freezer. I take it out and let it sit to soften up enough to slice and smother in whipped cream. Absolutely yummy!
- 7 cups sliced fresh strawberries (sliced in half or in thirds)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup strawberry gelatin (I use Jell-O gelatin for this)
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch (measured out exactly 1/4-cup)
- 3 -4 drops red food coloring (or as desired)
- 1 (9 inch) pie pastry (use a deep-dish crust baked and cooled completely, or can use a prepared graham cracker crust)
- 2 cups whipped cream (or to taste)
- 1 cup fresh sliced strawberry, for the top (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a lage saucepan place the sugar, water, strawberry gelatin powder and cornstarch; bring to a boil and boil mixing constantly for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add in red food colouring (use as much food colouring as you wish to acheive the colour desired).
- Fold in 7 cups sliced strawberries; toss well with a wooden spoon or spatula to combine.
- Transfer to prepared crust.
- Refrigerate for about 4 hours or until completely set.
- Top pie with whipped cream.
- Place more sliced strawberries on top of whipped cream if desired in a decorative fashion.