Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
For the very best results us a good-quality chicken broth for this, you can sub the same amount of uncooked rice for the orzo. I have even added some cooked cubed chicken to this soup, this is one of my family's favorite soups, you will love this!---- see my Kittencal's Best Chicken Stock/Broth (Crock Pot Option)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked orzo pasta (or use same amount uncooked rice)
- black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lemon, juice of
- grated parmesan cheese (optional I like to sprinkle it on top!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a pot.
- Add in the orzo or rice; simmer uncovered until the orzo or rice is cooked (about 10 minutes).
- In a medium heat-proof bowl whisk together eggs and lemon juice until frothy.
- Remove a ladle of hot broth from the pot and slowly add the broth to the egg mixture whisking vigorously; pour the mixture back into the hot soup.
- Remove immediately from the heat (DO NOT LET BOIL!).
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.