1 hr 30 mins
I have stated the chili flakes as optional you may omit or adjust to heat level, this casserole may be fully prepared and refrigerated until ready to bake, you your own favorite pasta sauce for this
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 lb) package dry penne pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (250 g) container philadelphia roasted red pepper cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (or use bulk Italian sausage meat, spicy or mild)
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to taste)
- 1 (26 ounce) jar meatless pasta sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4-1/3 cup water (use only if needed)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (can use more if desired)
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided (can use more)
- 1Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- 2Cook the penne pasta in boiling water until just bendable (do not overcook the pasta until soft as it will cook more in the oven) drain well, then place the hot pasta into a large bowl.
- 3Mix in butter until melted, then mix in the softened cream cheese; set aside.
- 4In a skillet cook the ground beef with garlic and chili flakes until no longer pink; drain fat then continue to cook until browned.
- 5Add in pasta sauce and mushrooms; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 6Reduce heat to low and cook for about 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally, and season with salt and pepper to taste (if you find that the mixture is too thick add in 1/4 cup water and continue simmering for another 10 minutes).
- 7TO ASSEMBLE; spread HALF the meat sauce into baking dish, then top with all the penne pasta mixture, sprinkle 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese over the pasta, then 1 cup mozzarella cheese on top.
- 8Dollup remaining meat sauce on top then spread out using a spoon.
- 9Sprinkle 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese over the meat sauce, then 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
- 10Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes or until completely heated through and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Layered Ground Beef-Penne Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 848.7
- Calories from Fat 368
- Total Fat 40.8 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 136.7 mg
- Sodium 1129.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 43.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red pepper cream cheese