Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is the recipe I use for homemade vanilla it's easy to make and somewhat cheaper than the store bought --- plan ahead this needs to steep at least 2 months or even longer for a more stronger taste even 6 months would be better --- use as you would any commercial vanilla, the more vanilla beans that you use and the longer you let it sit for, the stronger the vanilla will be.
Top Review by Connie Lea
This is an awesome recipe, but next time I will definitely use vodka. I had some Black Velvet Whiskey that nobody was drinking so decided to use that. The whiskey is much too strong a flavor. Now finally after thee months, the vanilla flavor is getting stronger than the whiskey. Thanks Kittencal for another great recipe.
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the vanilla beans in half lengthwise.
- Divide among two narrow bottles that hold about 1 cup each.
- Vanilla beans may be cut crosswise, if necessary to fit.
- Add the vodka to cover (1 cup in each bottle).
- Let sit for at least 2 months before using (the longer the better even 6 months would be the best).
- ***NOTE*** You can use as many vanilla beans as you wish, they are quite expensive, so I use up to 6 and just let sit for a longer period of time for a more stronger vanilla taste, but you may certainly add in 20 if you wish, but the cost is expensive.
- Remember, the longer the sitting time, the stronger the vanilla!