Instant potato flakes makes these quick and fast --- instead of pinching off pieces of dough roll the dough into a 1/2-inch diameter rope and then slice into about 1-inch long pieces, you may indent the center with a fork or your finger --- the dough may be shaped covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated until ready to cook or you may freeze the shaped uncooked gnocchi just drop them into boiling water still in their frozen state, do not thaw --- this recipe was developed using instant potato flakes, subsitiuting cooked mashed potatoes will not produce the same results --- these are best if heated up in a tomato or cream sauce or pan fryed with garlic and butter then sprinkled with Parmesan cheese :)
- Boil water in a medium pot until at a light simmer.
- Meanwhile pour about 3-4 tablespoons oil in a medium bowl.
- Place the instant potato flakes, garlic powder and salt in a medium bowl; add in hot water and stir with a spoon until thickened (about 1 minute).
- Mix in beaten eggs until combined.
- Add in 1-1/2 cups flour and mix well to create a manageable dough (if the mixture seems too moist add in a small amount more of flour until the dough holds together, you may need up to 2 cups flour).
- Using hands gently knead the dough until smooth.
- Using floured hands pinch off a little over 1 tablespoon of dough then roll into a ball or desired shape (at this point you may freeze).
- Drop into the simmering water until they rise to the top (this will only take about 2-3 minutes).
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place into the oiled bowl.