Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This recipe is a regular in our house and is one of my family's favourite dinners --- I have listed some additions on bottom of the recipe that may be added to the ground beef mixture but that is only optional ---prep time does not include cooking the potatoes
Top Review by Elegance
I make this a few times a year. I've adapted it for the crock pot when a heatwave comes in during summer. My SO likes it more when cooked in the crock pot. I'm delighted to have found a new favorite. Thanks so much for posting this recipe. This is true comfort food at its' best.
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup (undiluted and divided)
- 3 cups hot russet mashed potatoes
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushrooms, drained (use whole or sliced)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (can use more or less)
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (your choice of veggies)
- seasoning salt (to taste) or white salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 9-inch or an 11 x 7-inch square baking dish.
- For potato topping; combine half a can of cheddar cheese soup with hot mashed potatoes; set aside.
- In a fry pan brown ground beef with oregano, chopped onion and garlic; drain off fat, then stir in Worcestershire sauce, mushrooms, shredded cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Meanwhile cook mixed veggies according to package directions; drain well then add to beef mixture along with the remaining half of cheese soup.
- Add in your choice of additions, then season with salt and pepper to taste; mix to combine and simmer uncovered for about 20-30 minutes over medium-low heat stirring occasionally.
- Spoon meat mixture into greased pan; spread the hot mashed potato mixture evenly over top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until topping is light golden brown.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese on top then allow to melt.
- ADDITIONS, use one or all of 3/4 cups good quality beef broth mix/wisked with 2 tablespoons flour (for a thicker ground beef mixture) -- one can cream style corn/ one tablespoon Dijon mustard -- 1/3 cup Heinz chili sauce or ketchup -- 1/2 package of dry onion soup mix -- 2 tbsp Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce OR 1-2 small packages beef bouillon powder.