Recipe by Manami
This is a combination of King crab and avocado, what could be bad - and to top it off it is fast and healthy! Made a mistake it wasn't Saveur Magazine it was www.foodandwine.com/recipes/king-crab-and-avocado-shooters - it is from the April 2010 edition. **The computer will not allow me to post the lump crab meat (substitute) for the King crab, just know you can use it instead.Update:kcpowers reviewed the recipe and she says to use just a little aount of lemon juice and to use 5 oz glasses. :)
Top Review by kcpowers
This was a good recipe, but it needs to be tweaked. The proportions of this recipe are off. It calls for too much lemon juice and possibly crab - the lemon taste overwhelmed as written! I would cut lemon juice in at least half. Better yet, don't even measure it, just add a little at a time and keep tasting it. Really, it's only there, I think, to stop the avocado from browning.
I also added more chili flakes than it calls for, and you could probably add more if you like spice.
I was assembling this into a 2 oz. shot glass. I put a little bit of the avocado mixture on the bottom, then layered it with drab and garnished with the sliced avocado. I had a ton of crab left over. I purchased 24 oz. of lump crab (I was making 32 shooters - so scaling the recipe up 4x) instead of steaming and cracking my own legs. I probably had half the crab left over. So, if you're buying lump crab like I did, I'd cut the portion in at least half if you're truly making a shooter. Or, just use a bigger glass, 5 oz.
- 2 small Hass avocadoes, 1 cut into 1/2-inch dice 1 cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, it is best to add it a little at a time (not the bottled stuff)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (A pinch or two or three)
- 1⁄2 lb lump crabmeat, in the shell
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- In a shallow bowl, coarsely mash the diced avocado with a fork.
- Add the heavy cream, lemon juice ( use it a little at a tine), and crushed red pepper flakes and mash the mixture just until combined.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro and season generously with salt and pepper.
- With kitchen scissors, cut the crab leg shells and pull out the crabmeat.
- Cut the crabmeat crosswise into 1-inch pieces and shred the crab or use lump crab meat (6 oz).
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk and ginger.
- Fold in the crab and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the crab and avocado into 8 (5 oz) small glasses.
- Top each shooter with an avocado wedge and serve.
- **Make Ahead: The shelled crabmeat can be refrigerated overnight.
- ***Wine: the zesty 2006 Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc, made from grapes grown in the ocean breeze-cooled Casablanca Valleyï¿½arguably Chileï¿½s premier Sauvignon Blanc region.