Prep 2 hrs 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a pretty quick way to make dinner rolls. How I kill 2 birds with one stone is by - - use enough dough to make 12 rolls and use the remainder of the dough to make a tea-ring.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups flour
- cooking spray
- Dissolve dry yeast and 1 tbsp sugar in warm water. Allow to stand 8 minutes.
- Cream sugar and shortening together.
- Add boiling water and beat well.
- Add egg and beat.
- Add the yeast mixture, salt and 4 cups flour; mix well.
- While mixing, slowly add the remaining 2 cups flour, until a soft dough forms.
- Spray a bowl with cooking spray, place the dough in the bowl and spray the top of the dough with cooking spray.
- Let rise 1 hour.
- Punch down and form into balls.
- Place balls in greased pan, and let rise 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake rolls 20 minutes.