Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
A delicious soup for chilly days--or even not so chilly ones. And it's healthy too! (Moderately adapted from a recipe on allrecipes.com.) Note: The sodium-free and low-sodium items in this recipe can be replaced with their higher sodium counterparts--just add less additional salt.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sodium-free chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low-sodium stewed tomatoes
- salt, to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, and warm olive oil.
- Add chopped yellow onion, minced garlic, and chopped carrots; then cook, stirring as necessary, until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add chili powder and ground cumin; and cook, stirring constantly, for 60 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, 1 can of kidney beans, frozen whole kernel corn, and freshly ground black pepper; and bring to a boil.
- While soup is heating, place stewed tomatoes and second can of kidney beans in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth; then add to soup.
- Add salt to taste.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Let cool a bit before serving.
Prepared as directed __ easy and quick __ chili powder provides a nice bit of heat on a cold day __ great served with a crusty french baquette for dipping & soaking up the liquid
Made this last night and added 1can black beans, un-pureed, and added 4oz bowtie pasta and 8oz of sliced mushrooms---it was yummy and very satisfying on a cold November evening, not to mention QUICK!!! Will definitely be making again, could add rice next time too! Anyway, doctor it up how you like, the basic recipe is great!
A VERY TASTY SOUP, & easy to make, too! I did cut the cumin back to less than 1/2 teaspoon, & used lemon pepper to season! When it comes to using canned anything, I'm always for the low-sodium verion! A great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]