1/1 Photo of Kidney Bean-Vegetable Soup
So Cal Gal's Note:
A delicious soup for chilly days--or even not so chilly ones. And it's healthy too! (Moderately adapted from a recipe on allrecipes.com.) Note: The sodium-free and low-sodium items in this recipe can be replaced with their higher sodium counterparts--just add less additional salt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sodium-free chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low-sodium stewed tomatoes
- salt, to taste
- 1Heat a large pot over medium heat, and warm olive oil.
- 2Add chopped yellow onion, minced garlic, and chopped carrots; then cook, stirring as necessary, until tender (about 5 minutes).
- 3Add chili powder and ground cumin; and cook, stirring constantly, for 60 seconds.
- 4Add chicken broth, 1 can of kidney beans, frozen whole kernel corn, and freshly ground black pepper; and bring to a boil.
- 5While soup is heating, place stewed tomatoes and second can of kidney beans in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth; then add to soup.
- 6Add salt to taste.
- 7Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 8Let cool a bit before serving.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kidney Bean-Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (358 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.4
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 29.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.1 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 21.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sodium-free chili powder
low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
low-sodium stewed tomatoes