Bean Bag Vegetable Soup
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups 10 bean soup mix
- 6 cups cold water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 hot Italian sausages or 3 italian sweet sausage, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the bean mix, cover generously with cold water, and let soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large saucepan, combine the bean mixture with 6 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until tender.
- Add the onions, carrots, sausage, tomatoes, chili powder and cloves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the flavours are well blended.
- Stir in the sherry, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This makes very good soup! It seemed a bit bland when I first tasted it, but I think this was due to the Japanese (not Italian) sausage I used for the sake of convenience. I added some oregano, which easily cleared up the problem. I'm also considering sprinkling a little Parmesan cheese on top, too. I combined seven different kinds of beans and barley. I got a bit over-enthusiastic, and ended up making 2.3 times the recipe, which necessitated the use of my largest, 9-liter pot. I did use a little less tomatoes, because they wouldn't all fit. Anyway, now I have quite a lot of delicious soup. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us. I will enjoy making it in the future.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live with my husband, four cats, and a sweet mutt named Jada in Scarborough, Ontario, where I work as an elementary school administrative assistant. I have a 31 year old daughter who lives with her boyfriend in nearby Don Mills, along with my sweet granddogs, Frankie and Turbo. I would have to say that my passion is animals, since I have so many of them! <br /><img src=http://images.quizilla.com/H/h0t5auce/1108834307_brown_answer.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/532663/cookswithcattitude.JPG alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/CalendarGirlsSwap2009.jpg alt= /> <br /><br />If I had a month off work to do what I please, I would first catch up on my sleep and then just have fun - see a few movies and maybe take a couple of short trips - something that wouldn't break the bank - lol!</p>