Recipe by HokiesMom
Found this in an old Cooking Light magazine from 1999. I love the addition of the espresso granules to kick up a standard cake mix! Simple to make but tastes like you spent so much more time!
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
This was really excellent and exceedingly moist! I made this exactly as posted. I found that the coffee flavor was really not discernible, but I think intensified the chocolate. I dusted this with some confectioner's sugar and served it with some fresh whipped cream. Delicious!
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup plus 1 tbls warm water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso granules
- 1 cup egg substitute (8 oz carton)
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix (without pudding in the mix)
- 1 (4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a 12 cup Bundt pan with cooking spray and dust with about 2 tsp flour; set aside.
- Combine the sour cream, water, oil, espresso granules, egg, cake mix and pudding mix in a large bowl and beat at medium speed with a mixer for 3 minutes.
- Add the chocolate chips and beat for an additional 30 seconds.
- Spoon cake batter into the prepared Bundt pan and bake at 350F for 55-60 minutes or until it passes a pick test.
- Cool cake in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack. Invert cake onto a separate wire rack and cool completely.
- Sprinkle cake with powdered sugar before serving.