1/1 Photo of Kibi
1 hr 35 mins
Chef #235570's Note:
The pan should be 2-3" deep You will need 2 very large bowls You will need a large knife Middle East stores will have the wheat but make sure it's medium ground. Have the butcher trim fat & grind lamb,you need the amount after the fat is trimmed. Use "good" spices I put 3T.salt but this is to taste Syrian bread is thinner than Pita This dish is made with Lamb and Wheat as it's main ingredients. It goes far & freezes well after baking. I wrap 3 slices each pkg.to freeze & take out what we need. This is "healthy" eating.Any questions please contact me. Carrie PS, This is the dish many eat raw with raw onions & olive oil over the top. "Yes,it's good raw" and lamb is a very clean meat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place wheat in large bowl, add water just enough to cover wheat - soak 5 minute or until you don't see water on the top.
- 2Place lamb,onion,salt,pepper, cinnamon and allspice in bowl, mix "with hands".
- 3Remove wheat from bowl,squeeze out water and.place 1 handful in meat, mix well. Continue mixing in wheat, 1 handful at a time, making sure you mix "very" well.
- 4Place in your pan and spread evenly with wet hands to do this, pressing meat into the pan. Pour half olive and half veggie oil over top just enough to cover meat.
- 5(hope I can explain cutting).
- 6Cutting:Use a large knife.
- 7First cut into 4 equal sections like 4 squares, 1 horizontal cut, 1 vertical cut.
- 8Cut "opposite" sections into 3/4ths inch slices through to bottom of pan.
- 9Cut remaining "opposite" sections on an angle. Then run knife around entire edge of pan to make area for oil to get into.
- 10With your thumb make a hole in the very center of the pan and then make hole a bit bigger. These cuts & the hole will allow the oil to cook the meat. (All olive oil is best, use a good grade of oil). Some people prefer all veggie oil and that's fine too but the olive oil enhances the authentic flavor.
- 11Bake at 350°F for about 1 hour.
- 12When the hour is done, turn on the broiler and lightly brown the top.
- 13To eat: Cut a piece of bread in half, place a slice of Kibi in it, fold and eat.
- 14I serve it with homemade yogurt on the side but Dannon plain is just as good. Also slice up cucumbers, and have large pitted black olives (the real ones in olive oil are best but regular are good too.) Sometimes I will cut up fresh ripe tomatoes, fresh parsley, onions and add fresh lemon juice, a bit of water, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar. No oil in this dressing.
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kibi
Serving Size: 1 (80 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.5
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 25.3 mg
- Sodium 22.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 10.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: