Recipe by MapleLeafLili Hill
Also called 'Ears', this pastry is light and crunchy. Really easy to prepare, and makes a HUGE batch of Khrustyky.. (which works out wonderfully for holidays when you'll have plenty of friends or family around to enjoy them!)
Top Review by alinasls
I'm hesitant to put any stars for this recipe simply because I don't believe that the amount of flour in this recipe is correct. I followed the recipe exactly and the dough wasn't just sticky, it was liquid. I had to double the amount of flour to even be able to work the dough.
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon rich cream
- 2 tablespoons rum or 2 tablespoons brandy (I've used 1 tsp of rum flavouring in the past)
- 1 cup sifted flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- oil (for deep frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the eggs and egg yolks together until light in colour.
- Beat in sugar, cream, salt, rum or brandy (or extract).
- Stir in the flour.
- This dough should be soft.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out small amounts of dough at a time, with LOTS of flour on your rolling surface, put flour on top of the dough and on your rolling pin.
- (this dough is very sticky otherwise).
- Roll to 1/8 inch or thinner.
- Keep the un-used dough covered to prevent drying out.
- Cut the dough into long strips, about 1 1/4 inches wide.
- Then further cut the strips into 2 1/2 or 3 inch segments, diagonally (they will look like 2 1/2 inch long and 1 1/4 inch wide diamonds.) Make a slit in the center (about 1/2 inch long in the middle, lengthwise...) Grasp the bottom tail of the Khrustyky, put it through the slit in the middle, and pull it gently back down to the bottom.
- (this will form a twist in the dough) continue to do this to each piece of dough.
- (I roll out a small portion, cut and form my Khrustyky, and set them on a plate. Once my small bit of dough that I've rolled out is all used up, I fry these in the deep fryer before moving on to another piece of dough to roll and cut).
- Deep fry a few at a time (I'm comfortable doing 7 at a time), in oil at 375 F until light brown.
- These puff up as you fry them, making a delectible treat.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle confectioner's sugar over the drained Khrustyky.