Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
alternative way of making Masoor Daal - this is also known as Heydrabadi cooking because of the use of tamarind or other souring agents.this can also be made with split mung daal.
- 236.59 ml split red lentils
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml chili powder
- 1.23 ml turmeric powder
- 29.58 ml tamarind juice (add more if you like it really sour) or 29.58 ml lemon juice (add more if you like it really sour)
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh coriander
- 3 whole dried red chilies
- 1.23 ml cumin seed
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 4-5 curry leaves (optional)
- 44.37-59.16 ml oil, for tempering
- Wash the dal well.
- soak for at least 15-20 minutes or upto half hour.
- In a pot add the dal and a glass of water.
- add the salt, chili powder, Turmeric (Haldi) and leave on very low heat to cook.
- When the dal has softened to a paste, add the chopped tomatoes and fresh coriander and lemon juice or Tamarind juice.
- Cook till it is of medium consistency (not too pasty or too liquidy)
- In a frying pan heat the oil along with the Garlic and whole red chili and curry leaves.
- When the Garlic slices turn light brown add cumin seeds and wait for them to be brown but be careful not to burn them.
- pour the oil and its contents over the daal and cover immediately.
- take off heat.
- after a few minutes serve with plain boiled rice.