Prep 24 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This is a Gujrati speciality!
- 3 cups channa dal, washed
- 1 cup white Urad Dal, washed
- 1 cup basmati rice, washed
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger and chili paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- cilantro, to garnish
- coconut, grated,to garnish
- sevain, to garnish
- Put the channa dal, urad dal and the rice in a bowl.
- Add water till it covers the surface of these.
- Allow to remain soaked for 4-5 hours.
- Grind all together in a mixie.
- Transfer to a big bowl.
- Allow to ferment overnight.
- The following morning, whisk the mixture of the dals and rice, so as to incorporate as much air as possible into it.
- Add some water, salt, turmeric powder, ginger-chilli paste and baking soda.
- Grease a thali with oil on the sides and base as well.
- Pour a thin layer (evenly spread it out) onto the thali.
- Steam for 5-7 minutes.
- Unmold onto a plate.
- Put into a bowl and mash it well.
- Now, heat some oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, allow to crackle, then and the mashed mixture.
- Add garlic paste and fry till the raw smell is gone.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro, sevain and coconut.
- Serve immediately.